Learning Difficulties Australia is an association of teachers and other professionals dedicated to assisting students with learning difficulties through effective teaching practices based on scientific research, both in the classroom and through individualised instruction.
Our aims are:
- To promote understanding in the community of the complex nature of learning difficulties and the need for intervention to be carried out by qualified and expert professionals.
- To support professionals in the field through high quality professional development programs and publications so that all members have access to theoretical advances and well researched teaching strategies in the field of learning difficulties.
- To support and promote scientific evidence-based research that will advance understanding of the theory and evidence underlying effective teaching practice for students with learning difficulties.
- To liaise with other related associations, thereby promoting co-operation and inter-disciplinary exchange of ideas.
- To advocate for improved services to students experiencing difficulties with learning through advice to relevant organizations and submissions to government bodies.
- To promote excellence in the field by recognising outstanding contributions through the following awards: the Mona Tobias Award, the Bruce Wicking Award and the Tertiary Student Award.